Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 2020 14:15:49 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: (very OT) Ideal partition schemes (history of partitioning)

> On Aug 30, 2020, at 1:23 PM, Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2020 at 1:14 PM Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
> wrote:
>=20
>> On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 17:21:26 +0200, Polytropon wrote:
>>>=20
>>> Rule: "Better have 100 photos and select 10 good ones, instead
>>> of having only 10 photos which are all crap." ;-)
>>=20
>> The averaged 36 photos and then replacing the film cartridge gave
>> holiday as well as professional photographers the opportunity to =
think.
>> They not necessarily used this opportunity, let alone that some used
>> very long films for way more than 36 photos.
>>=20
>=20
> Completely incorrect about professional photography (at least after
> autowinders became available):
>=20

I know loose cannon will unleash on me, but I still can not hold it.

My observation about professionals (in any profession, not just a =
photography) is: they do posses excellent set of skills, and they =
simultaneously recognize that there are other professionals in this same =
field who posselearningss some skills they don=E2=80=99t. Doesn=E2=80=99t =
mean someone is better or worse. Anybody declaring in one way or another =
he/she is the one with correct/best professional skills immediately sets =
the flag for me as quite likely not actually being an expert.

That is akin well known stages of learning:

1. I don=E2=80=99t know anything
2. I know something
3. I know everything
4. I know quite a lot but not everything
5. I know a lot, and I know what I know and what I don=E2=80=99t know

The last (5) is equivalent of an expert (I am just replacing the word =
=E2=80=9Cprofessional=E2=80=9D by what it implies), whereas (3) though =
quite likely to declare being an expert, most likely is not.

Those are my humble observations. Of a person never considering oneself =
an expert, though often knowing what I know and what I don=E2=80=99t.

Valeri