Date:      Mon, 12 May 1997 10:11:16 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_de.c ????

At 04:53 PM 5/12/97 +0930, Michael Smith wrote:
>Dennis stands accused of saying:
>>
>> I see that the FreeBSD team has no pride in their work...whoever said this.
>
>Uhh.  Dennis, pride doesn't pay the bills.  Pride doesn't buy hardware
>for you to support.

It this a line from Animal Farm?

>Pride is what makes us want to work on FreeBSD rather than take cushy
>feet-on-the-desk admin jobs and spend the weekend four-wheeling around
>the outback.
>
>> Its the guys with the "resources" that are giving you hackers a pen to play
>> in....they are the ones making the market so that the vendors answer the
>> phone when you can and ask them for specs.
>
>Vendors answer the phone?  Hah!  You gotta be dreaming.  I've been
>hounding vendors for chip programming details for years, and the scene
>really hasn't changed a lot over time.  The "nice" people still make
>data free, the "nasty" ones still hoard it jealously.

Would be nice, wouldn't it?

Certain things you're just not gonna get...so deal with it. Do you think
that SMC
is gonna build another card with DEC-like chip when anyone with a $500. layout
program can clone the board and steal their market? Its getting so easy to
clone
hardware, particularly with single chip solutions, that you're going to see
big vendors
refuse to use parts that have public specs...like you said, you gotta pay
the bills, and
it doesnt pay to build hardware with readily available hardware with public
specs.

Dennis