Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 21:38:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        jack@diamond.xtalwind.net (jack)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

>Let's take the subject literally and look at the Price ($$$) of FreeBSD
>from the POV of an industry that FreeBSD is well suited to, the small to
>medium ISP.  We've reached the point that we need to start using addresses
>from our second class C.  Adding an alias from the second class C to the
>NIC card in our BSDi 2.0.1 boxes caused them to loose the MAC address of
>the router.  We man-ed, route-ed, and arp-ed 'till our fingers were numb,
>no success.  Meanwhile my FreeBSD workstation was more than happy to sit
>on both Cs.  Is that problem fixed in BSDi 3.0?  ????  Assuming it is,
>what would it cost?  5 16 user licenses, 1 16 user with source $8448.20,
>tax included.  For that price upgrades for 60 days, support for 60 days.
>What'd FreeBSD cost us?  A bit of bandwidth for a little while.  Upgrades?
>Same price, and unlimited.  Support?  Right here.  We now have one BSDi
>box.  Within the next few weeks I won't be able to say that. :)

Add to this the time (read billable hours) you and your co-works spent try
to get BSDi to add an IP alias and the time you spent on the phone with
BSDi support.

[ DELETED ]

>As long as the powers that be at FreeBSD.org keep producing one of the
>best operating systems available, at any price, why worry about a few
>closed discussions with the "private sector".  Hell, if they want to get
>together at Stonehenge once a month and chant and howl at the full moon
>naked let 'em.

Why don't I ever get invited to those kind of meetings ? I must be working
for the wrong company.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch        |   Another day closer to a   |    FreeBSD 2.2.1
jgrosch@sirius.com  |     Micro$oft free world    | UNIX for the masses