Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2020 14:11:38 -0500
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Basic photo viewing/editing for Xfce?

--Sig_/bhJRpYeKQZSecvuy=DNW61E

On Sat, 11 Jan 2020 19:19:51 +0100, Ralf Mardorf via freebsd-questions
stated:
>On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 00:40:04 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
>>Polytropon wrote: =20
>>>=20
>>> In the past I've been using xzgv (here: "xzgv -tzf <files>",
>>> to be exact), but the versions after 0.8_9 have been
>>> continuously disimproved. That's why today I'd say EOG or
>>> Geeqie; I hope I got the spelling right because it's not
>>> that easy to remember all those strangely spelled made-up
>>> names...
>>>=20
>>> Both support manual and automatic "slide change" as well
>>> as fullscreen modes.
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>>    =20
>>>=20
>>> I'm using Gimp. ;-)
>>>=20
>>> Have you considered trying Krita?
>>>=20
>>> There's also Pinta and DigiKam, but I have never used them,   =20
>>
>>Wow! They have so many dependencies, I'd rather use gimp :-) Still,
>>it's too complicated.
>> =20
>
>If disk space isn't an issue, don't care about the amount of
>dependencies. In my experiences with Linux, _not with FreeBSD_
>machines_, GIMP way more often tends to be broken, than Krita does.
>OTOH Krita's pitfall are display colour settings.
>Unlikely GIMP or Krita will be to complicated for your propose after
>using them a few times to crop and rotated pictures, but unfortunately
>they are a PITA to use as an image viewer, since it takes way to long
>to load a picture.
>I've got nearly all available Linux viewers installed, non of them is
>to my taste. However, if you want to do simple editing and fast
>viewing, consider to sync with a smart phone or tablet PC ;).
>A problem with at least iPadOS is the HEIC format and while I'm on a
>rolling Linux release (Arch Linux), I still needed to build...
>
>$ sudo pacman -Syu
>[snip]
>warning: ifuse: local (1.1.3.r6.ge75d32c-1) is newer than community
>(1.1.3-6)
>[snip]
>
>..ifuse myself. Not necessarily needed to sync pictures, but other sync
>options come with pitfalls, too. Using it is a PITA, but fortunately
>iPadOS allows to connect to a shared external drive. I don't know if
>iOS and Android allow this, too.
>
>I do understand that you want to do it with FreeBSD. I would like to do
>it with Linux. Since FreeBSD and Linux software doesn't provide what we
>want to do, this is a workaround.
>
>One machine not necessarily needs to do a good job for everything. My
>dishwasher isn't that good, when using it as a sandwich toaster.

I have used a lot of different image viewers and editors over the
years. I always find myself coming back to Adobe Photoshop. It is not
free of course; however, there are numerous cost effective leasing
plans available. The only real downside is that it is not compatible
with FreeBSD. The question you have to ask yourself is which is more
important to you, cost or usability?

--=20
Jerry