Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 20:29:16 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New CODA release

Gregory Sutter wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 06:00:53PM -0500, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> > Sean Eric Fagan wrote:
> > >
> > > Whiner.  You don't like it, go write your own.
> >
> > Ohh.. so everyone that doesn't like GPL is a whiner nowadays...The nice
>
> No, the guy that was whining was a whiner.  The coders of Coda made up
> their minds to go with the GPL.  The whining guy didn't try to
> influence their decision, didn't present new reasons why Coda shouldn't
> be GPLed, but was just bitching and moaning about it.  That's fine, but
> then if Sean wants to call him a whiner, he won't be far off.

OK, I didn't bitch and moan so I still don't classify :-)...There was a
short discussion about it in the coda-announce list, the reason seemed
pretty stupid to me:

"- Coda is now GPL'd - primarily because we want to indicate that we are
really an OSS project."

Theo d'Raadt, speaking for OpenBSD _only_ responded:

> good move -- you've just alienated all the other operating systems and
> ensured that none of them will ever fully integrate coda into the
> default install. i bet you'll be seeing freebsd and netbsd deleting
> coda in the next couple of days, since they have rules against
> dropping GPL code into their kernel tree.
>
> We'll stick with ARLA. It's really _free_ software.

Since you wanna hear reasons why it isn't a good idea:

-Commercial distributions don't like to be forced to carry sources for
parts of their OS. That's of course part of the success of X and many
BSD tools. I haven't heard of any commercial UNIX bundling gcc yet..

- From an economical point of view, the GPL has a negative effect over
capitalism, and will eventually have some effect on employment (I'm not
kidding, I'll have to write a dissertation about this, but I haven't
found the time). The BSD license doesn't have this effect.

	Pedro.