Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:03:52 +0800
From:      "Stanislav Posonsky" <posonsky@iname.ru>
To:        <advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   About The Symbolism

	Hello!
	Can anyone give me an answer to my question why an impish creature is an
emblem of FreeBSD? And concerning the watchword `FreeBSD: The Power to
Serve`, what power is implied?
	I like FreeBSD itself. It is a nice and the coolest OS of all times and
peoples! At the same time as an Orthodox believer I cannot and should not
use it because of  such an ambiguous (or may be not ambiguous?) symbolism.
	I think that the present state of things may present a serious obstacle to
a wider spread of FreeBSD in countries traditionally professing
Christianity, Judaism and Islam.
	How essential, do you think, is such a symbolism for FreeBSD products line?
	FreeBSD just like any other Unix OS is first of all a multi-user OS aiming
at being used by people of many nationalities, language groups and religious
beliefs. I personally think that it should not contain any points
dicriminating persons working with it in any way.
	Is it may be  worth giving up this devilry in favour of a more neutral
symbolism?

     Stanislav Posonsky
     mailto:posonsky@iname.ru