Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2007 14:13:51 -0600
From:      "W. D." <WD@US-Webmasters.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        trashy_bumper@yahoo.com
Subject:   Fwd: Re: IPFW: Blocking me out.  How to debug?

>Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 06:04:02 -0800 (PST)
>From: Nash Nipples <trashy_bumper@yahoo.com>
>To: freebsd-security@freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: IPFW: Blocking me out.  How to debug?
>
>Dear W.D.
>
>oh come on. i have the same problem.=20

Which problem are we talking about?

>cut and paste logic:
>
>#!/bin/sh
>#1. count packets
>#2. allow everything on lo0 (loopback)
>#3. slow down and deny packets to buffer overflow enabled daemons
>#3.5 to list all the buffer overflow enabled daemons use this sockstat=
 -46ul
>#4. allow everything in and out on the Ethernet interface fxp0.=20
>Remember - wires are long things!

What does this mean?

>#5. switch sshd to a different port like 55 and use keys to authenticate=20
>#6. do ipfw show every morning

Why?

>#7. do ipfw zero every evening or as often as your boss wants that

How about a cron job that sends out a report then zero's ipfw?

>#8. learn how to modify this script quickly just to plumb all the=20
>other things that leak

What other things? =20

>#9. you cant block yourself out if you run this script with a trailing=20
>'&' e.g. sh /etc/ipfw.rules &

Hmmm.  I'll have to try that.  Would something like this=20
work to reload the rules?

ipfw disable firewall; sh /etc/ipfw.rules &

>#TODO: write a program that sends bills to customers
>#BUGS: it cant smile
>
>cmd=3D"/sbin/ipfw"
>ext1=3D"fxp0"
>gentleports=3D"21,25,514"

Why are these ports "gentle"?

>#accounting
>#i need these figures to see how bad things are going
>$cmd 100 count ip from any to any in via lo0
>$cmd 110 count ip from any to any out via lo0
>$cmd 120 count ip from any to any in via $ext1
>

>$cmd 130 count ip from any to any out via $ext1
>
>#if counters below grow too high u are screwed

How so?

>  #this counter should not vary much comparing to the next one
>$cmd 210 count icmp from any to any out via $ext1=20

>  #if there is an obvious difference someone's digging holes in the yard

What does this mean?

> $cmd 220 count icmp from any to any in via $ext1  =20
>  #too much of dns.
>$cmd 230 count ip from any to any 53 out via $ext1
>$cmd 240 count ip from any to any 53 in via $ext1

Why too much?

>#if counters below grow too high you have screwed someone else

Who?  Why?

>#oh yes. someone's got mail.
>$cmd 300 count ip from any to any 25 out via $ext1
>#which way did it go
>$cmd 310 count ip from any to any 25 via lo0
>
>#policy
>$cmd 1000 allow all from any to any via lo0
>/sbin/ipfw add 1110 pipe 1 ip from any to me $gentleports in via $ext1
>/sbin/ipfw pipe 1 config bw 1Kbit/s queue 1Kbytes
>
>$cmd 1120 deny ip from any to me $gentleports in via $ext1
>$cmd 1130 allow all from any to any via ext1
>#you will wonder but the next rule still has a match
>$cmd 1140 deny log all from any to any

What is it?

>I'm sorry but i cant draw pretty pictures to make it any more obvious

To make what more obvious? =20